Building Permits

Building a new house or making an improvement? Visit the Glen Carbon Village Hall, Edwardsville City Hall, or Madison County Planning and Development Department to apply for a building permit first. Once filed, the Township Assessor’s Office will receive a copy of the permit and will review the new construction or improvements during the building process. Your assessment will be adjusted based upon our review.

After your improvement is complete, visit our office to apply for a HOME IMPROVEMENT EXEMPTION (HIE), which could exempt the new improvement for four (4) years. Some exclusions do apply, including new construction.