The Illinois Heating Energy Assistance Program (IHEAP) is designed to assist eligible low-income households to pay for winter energy services. IHEAP will provide a one-time benefit to eligible households to be used for energy bills. The amount of the payment is determined by income, household size, and fuel type. An overdue bill or cut-off notice is not required in order to receive assistance.
Reconnection assistance may be available through Madison County Community Development, 618-296-6485.
IHEAP Start Dates
Please note that due to the state budget, IHEAP dates have changed from previous years. The current dates are as followed:
- October 1st, 2019- Households containing elderly, disabled, or both.
- October 1st, 2019- Emergency Furnace Assistance begins.
- November 1st, 2019- Households containing elderly, disabled, and/or children under the age of 6 years old. Including anyone with a disconnect notice.
- December 1st, 2019- General Low Income Population.
You must be a resident of Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Hamel, Holiday Shores, Worden, Marine, Livingston, or Alhambra to apply at Edwardsville Township. Other residents can locate their intake office by calling 618-296-6485.
Your thirty (30) day income must be less than:
- $1,561 for a one (1) person household
- $2,114 for a two (2) person household
- $2,666 for a three (3) person household
- $3,219 for a four (4) person household
- $3,771 for a five (5) person household
*Please note that due to the Federal Poverty Guidelines of 2017, the IHEAP income guidelines have changed from previous years.
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the thirty (30) day period prior to the application date;
- A copy of current heat and electric bills (if you pay for your home energy directly);
- Social Security Cards of all household members;
- Proof of Medical Eligibility Card if a member of the household receives TANF assistance; and
- Proof of rent if the household energy bills are included in the rent.
For more information about IHEAP, visit Madison County’s Home page at www.co.madison.il.us or call our office at 618-656-0292.