The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to assist eligible low-income households pay for winter and summer energy services. LIHEAP will provide a one-time benefit to eligible households to be used for energy bills. The amount of the payment is determined by income, household size, and fuel type. An overdue bill or cut-off notice is not required in order to receive assistance.
Reconnection assistance may be available through Madison County Community Development, 618-296-6485.
LIHEAP Start Dates
Please note that due to the state budget, LIHEAP dates have changed from previous years. The current dates are as followed:
- October 1st, 2018- Households containing elderly, disabled, or both.
- November 1st, 2018- Households containing elderly, disabled, and/or children under the age of 6 years old. Including anyone with a disconnect notice.
- November 1st, 2018- Emergency Furnace Assistance begins.
- December 1st, 2018- General Low Income Population.
You must be a resident of Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Hamel, Marine, or Alhambra to apply at Edwardsville Township. Other residents can locate their intake office by calling 618-296-6485.
Your thirty (30) day income must be less than:
- $1,508 for a one (1) person household
- $2,030 for a two (2) person household
- $2,553 for a three (3) person household
- $3,075 for a four (4) person household
- $3,598 for a five (5) person household
*Please note that due to the Federal Poverty Guidelines of 2017, the LIHEAP income guidelines have changed from previous years.
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the thirty (30) day period prior to application date;
- A copy of current heat and electric bills (if you pay for your home energy directly);
- Proof of Social Security Numbers of all household members;
- Proof of Medical Eligibility Card if a member of the household receives TANF assistance; and
- Proof of rent if the household energy bills are included in the rent.
For more information about LIHEAP, visit Madison County’s Home page at www.co.madison.il.us or call our office at 618-656-7289.