The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to assist eligible low-income households pay for winter and summer energy services. LIHEAP will provide a one-time benefit to eligible households to be used for energy bills. The amount of the payment is determined by income, household size, and fuel type. An overdue bill or cut-off notice is not required in order to receive assistance.
Reconnection assistance may be available through Madison County Community Development, 618-296-6485.
LIHEAP Start Dates
Please note that due to the state budget, LIHEAP dates have changed from previous years. The current dates are as followed:
- October 1st, 2017- Households containing elderly, disabled, or both.
- November 1st, 2017- Households containing elderly, disabled, and/or children under the age of 6 years old. Including anyone with a disconnect notice.
- November 1st, 2017- Emergency Furnace Assistance begins.
- December 1st, 2017- General Low Income Population.
You must be a resident of Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Hamel, Marine, or Alhambra to apply at Edwardsville Township. Other residents can locate their intake office by calling 618-296-6485.
Your thirty (30) day income must be less than:
- $1,508 for a one (1) person household
- $2,030 for a two (2) person household
- $2,553 for a three (3) person household
- $3,075 for a four (4) person household
- $3,598 for a five (5) person household
*Please note that due to the Federal Poverty Guidelines of 2017, the LIHEAP income guidelines have changed from previous years.
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the thirty (30) day period prior to application date;
- A copy of current heat and electric bills (if you pay for your home energy directly);
- Proof of Social Security Numbers of all household members;
- Proof of Medical Eligibility Card if a member of the household receives TANF assistance; and
- Proof of rent if the household energy bills are included in the rent.
For more information about LIHEAP, visit Madison County’s Home page at http://www.co.madison.il.us or call our office at 618-656-7289.