Edwardsville Township FAQ’s
What does Edwardsville Township do?
- Finances General and Emergency Assistance to residents for rent, electrical/gas/water bills, food, medication and more;
- Owns, operates and maintains Edwardsville Township Community Park located at 6368 Center Grove Rd., Edwardsville, Illinois, 62025;
- Base of operations for the Social Service Safety Net which brings together area social service agencies, organizations, and churches that provide services to residents of Edwardsville Community School District #7;
- Is a Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) in-take site for Madison County;
- Provides residents with notary and voter registration services;
- Supports Benefit Access (Circuit Breaker) services to seniors;
- Employs a Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) Counselor on site to provide one-on-one help with insurance programs;
- Offers a memorial at Edwardsville Township Community Park for youth that have prematurely passed and previously attended an Edwardsville School District #7 school, as well as tree planting dedications for various situations;
- Organizes volunteer opportunities for area youth and citizens at Edwardsville Township Community Park;
- Hosts various free community/regional events at Edwardsville Township Community Park;
- Maintains Township roads, whether resurfacing or treating for ice and snow, for the safety of the community;
- Assist’s with all aspects of property assessments, including but not limited to taxes, exemptions for residents;
What area does Edwardsville Township cover?
- Edwardsville Township covers thirty-six (36) square miles and includes the City of Edwardsville, the City of Glen Carbon, and unincorporated areas in between and around the area.
Township General/Emergency Assistance FAQ’s
What is General Assistance?
- A short-term safety net when between jobs or during illness.
- A financial aid program for those who are not qualified for categorical assistance (state or federally funded aid).
- Applicants must meet financial and non-financial factors for eligibility as contained in the Township’s General Assistance Handbook.
How do I qualify for assistance with the township?
- Eligibility for aid is generally based on financial income and resources available.
- In addition to being a resident of Edwardsville Township, information regarding you and your family, financial status, and registration with the Department of Employment Security will need to be provided.
What is required for General Assistance?
- The applicant is not receiving General Assistance from another government unit.
- The applicant is without dependent children and applying as a single adult case.
- The applicant’s current available non-exempt income falls within the income guidelines.
- The applicant is able to work and actively seeking employment – or – if applicant is unable to work, a physician statement is required.
- EA eligibility is determined in the interview process.
How do I apply for assistance?
- Bring your current Illinois Driver’s License or Identification Card and Social Security Card to pick up an application.
- Applications for General Assistance Clients may be picked up during regular business hours, daily from 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
- Completed applications must be returned in person by appointment.
- Emergency Assistance clients should call the office at 618-656-0292 for instructions.
When are landlord payments sent?
- Payments are mailed directly to landlord on the Wednesday after a Town Board Meeting.